The leaders of a global society such as ASPB, with members from 55 countries and growing, play a vital role not just in driving the organization forward, but in listening to, representing, and advocating for the membership and constituency the society serves. To find the best leadership for the Society, the process starts with a nomination. In 2023, ASPB is seeking nominations for a President-Elect and an Elected Member to serve on the ASPB Board of Directors and Council.
The ASPB President-Elect serves a three-year term that includes:
- Year 1: Serving as Chair of ASPB’s Board of Directors, member of the ASPB Council, Chair of the ASPB Nominations Committee, and member of the Program Committee
- Year 2: Serving as President of ASPB, member of ASPB’s Board of Directors, member of the ASPB Council, member of the ASPB Nominations committee, and member of additional ad hoc committees supporting publications, new groups, or new opportunities
- Year 3: Serving as Past-President, Chair of the ASPB Council, member of the ASPB Nominations Committee, and member of the Science Policy Committee
A successful President-Elect has a comprehensive vision for ASPB, experience in leadership positions, excellent communication skills, awareness and sensitivity to the needs of ASPB membership and the role the society plays in the broader plant science community, and a willingness to dedicate time to address the Society’s needs. See here for more details.
An Elected Member of the ASPB serves a four-year term that includes:
- Serving on the ASPB Board of Directors, providing advice, oversight, and approval regarding ASPB activities
- Serving on the ASPB Council, providing vision and advice to ASPB staff and the Board of Directors regarding ASPB activities
Elected Members are an important part of ASPB leadership, lending their time and expertise to help the Society work toward its goals and make critical decisions. A successful Elected Member has the capacity for big-picture, long-term thinking, is aware of and sensitive to the needs of ASPB membership, has some experience with management and/or developing policy, and is willing to dedicate time to address the needs of ASPB. See here for more details.
Nominations Start with You!
Nominations are due February 17, 2023, and the process is easy! Start your nomination now to shape the future leadership of ASPB!