The Plantae Pavilion (in the poster hall) has a full schedule of activities and spaces to relax. Join your colleagues to pitch your science, take a selfie (and enter to win a prize!), and talk about topics near and dear to the plant science community. Check out the full schedule below.
- Selfie Station: Visit the Plantae Pavilion, take a selfie and post it on Twitter using #PlantBio18. Each day a daily picture of the day will be selected. The winner will be awarded $100 Amazon gift card during the Plantae Pavilion Celebration on Tuesday afternoon.
- Pitch Your Science Videos: Share who you are and your research story with the world in 90 seconds by recording your elevator pitch and uploading it to YouTube with the hashtag #plantbio18. Deadline to post: June 16, 2018 at 11:59 EST. Winners are are awarded cash prizes and will be selected Tuesday afternoon during the #plantbio18 contest awards and celebration in the Plantae Pavilion.
- Career Center: Employers can post jobs on our electronic job board and sign up for space in our on-site interview booths. Job seekers can post a resume and sign up for interviews. Either do it on your own device or come to the Plantae Pavilion and use one of our kiosks. Also see: 3 ways to boost your career at Plant Biology 2018.
Saturday, July 14
- 6:30 pm: Tweet Up: Join us during the Opening Reception to meet people you only know by their handle! Meet new people and learn their handle! This will be a laid back meet and greet for those of us who enjoy typing frantically on our phones to send our thoughts to the Internet.
Sunday, July 15
- 11:15 am – 12:00 pm: Roundtable: Plants in Space: Learn about a new and expanding topic in plant science, astrobotany. Hear from experts in the field about what the cool new discoveries are, and where the field is going. Watch the Space Biology seminar presented by Dr. Robert Ferl.
- 12:00 -12:30 pm: Optimizing Your Online Profile: Plantae and the Job Center: Learn about how to create and optimize your online profile in Plantae, and in the Job Board. Review the helpful tips on creating your Plantae profile. Enter the Best Plantae profile contest; winners announced at the Contest Awards and Celebration Tuesday afternoon.
- 2:45 – 3:30 pm: Roundtable: Careers in Industry: Kelly Gillespie (Monsanto) and Miguel Vega-Sanchez (Monsanto) will be available to answer any questions you may have on how to get a job in industry, what an industry career is like, and any other questions you may have. Watch the Industry Opportunities/Navigating a Career seminar presented by three scientists from Monsanto.
- 3:30 -4:00 pm – Teaching Tools in Plant Biology: Join Teaching Tools in Plant Biology author and editor Mary Williams to learn how you can use and contribute to these free, online educational resources available on Plantae and published by The Plant Cell and ASPB. Join the Teaching Tools in Plant Biology network to access resources
Monday, July 16
- 11:15 am – 12:15 pm: Roundtable: Starting a Local Science Outreach Organization: Learn and discuss how to start a local outreach organization, such as a science café or a science on tap with Nathaniel Graham and Rishi R. Masalia. We’ll discuss ways to recruit volunteers, apply for funding, and most importantly, foster a dialogue with your community to make the most out of your time, and your organization. Browse Science Communication resources on Plantae.
- 12:00 -12:30 pm: Plant Science Research Network: Next Steps and Getting Involved: Learn about the Plant Science Research Network and how you can get involved. Discover more information about the Plant Science Research Network on Plantae.
- 1:00 – 1:30 pm: Getting Involved with Gramene: Learn about the Gramene initiative and how you can get involved. Join the Gramene network on Plantae.
- 2:45 – 3:30 pm: Roundtable: Computational Plant Science: Come meet Alexander Bucksch and discuss the interface of mathematical, computational, and biological sciences. We will also talk about why we need to add cross-trained researchers to the spectrum of plant biologists. Watch the Computational Plant Science seminar presented by Alexander Bucksch
- 3:30 – 4:00 pm: Learn About the Plantae Fellows Program: The Plantae Fellows programs provides opportunities to learn new skills, get recognition for your work, increase your visibility, and make new connections. Attend this overview to learn how to become a Fellow.
Tuesday, July 17
- 10:15 – 11:00 am: Roundtable: Women in Science Careers: Join Laura Wayne (Dow), Kelly Gillespie (Monsanto) and Grace Ju Miller (Indiana Wesleyan University)for a discussion around women in plant science.
- 11:00- 11:30 am: Science Communication Resources For You: Science Communications online resources, videos and activities in Plantae.
- 12:45-1:30 pm: Roundtable: Podcasting/Interviewing Advice with the Taproot Podcast Hosts: Meet Ivan Baxter and Liz Haswell, the hosts of Plantae’s very popular Taproot podcast. They’ll be answering questions about interviewing scientists, crafting stories, and give some glimpses into upcoming ideas and episodes.
Join the Taproot network on Plantae for the latest news and episodes