Looking for learning opportunities and activities during Plant Biology 2018 that will help you navigate your career path? Here are some helpful tips:
1. Improve your skills
Attend any of these workshops (some require pre-registration):
- Plant Science Training in 2035 (Saturday, July 14, 8:30 am – 12:00 pm)
- Primarily Undergraduate Institution (PUI) Faculty Development Workshop (Saturday, July 14, 8:30 am – 12:00 pm)
- Forest for the Trees: Science Communication with Deep Roots (Saturday, July 14, 8:30 am – 12:00 pm)
- Finding and Fixing Genome Annotation Errors with MaizeCODE: Research and Educational Applications (Saturday, July 14, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- Strategies for Developing Leadership Skills (Sunday, July 15, 7:30 am – 8:30 am)
- Reproducibility for Everyone (Sunday, July 15, 11:10 am – 12:30 pm)
- How to Review (Monday, July 16, 11:10 am – 12:30 pm)
- Incorporating Research into the Classroom (Monday, July 16, 11:10 am – 12:30 pm)
- USDA, DOE & NSF Grant Information Session (Monday, July 16, 11:10 am – 12:30 pm)
Participate in an Roundtable conversation at the Plantae Pavilion – no registration required
- Plants In Space (Sunday, July 15 11:15 am – 12:00 pm)
- Careers in Industry (Sunday, July 15, 2:45 -3:30 pm)
- Starting a Local Science Outreach Organization (Monday, July 16, 11:15 am – 12:00 pm)
- Computational Plant Science (Monday, July 16, 2:45 – 3:30 PM
- Women in Science Careers (Tuesday, July 17, 10:15 – 11:00 am)
- Podcasting? Interviewing Advice With The Taproot Podcast Hosts Ivan Baxter and Liz Haswell (Tuesday, July 17, 12:45 – 1:30 pm)
2. Find your next job
Use the Plantae Job Board. There will be kiosks available at the Plantae Pavilion to browse job listings, create a profile, and submit your resume online.
Have a position you are trying to fill? Employers can post jobs online also. Special pricing is available to have your job listed during the conference. Questions? Contact Shoshana@aspb.org.
Record a Pitch Your Science video (and contest). Share who you are and your research story with the world in 90 seconds by recording your elevator pitch and uploading it to YouTube with the hashtag #plantbio18. Winners are selected Tuesday afternoon in the Plantae Pavilion.
Create a rockstar profile on Plantae to get noticed and find a job (and win a prize for best Plantae profile). Learn how to create a profile on Plantae that helps you get a job. Use your pitch video here as well! Live demonstration at the Plantae Pavilion, Sunday, July 15, 12:00 – 12:30 pm.
3.Career advice and resume reviews
Speaking of careers, we will have several professionals onsite to provide one-on-one career mentoring and review your resume/cv. All slots are currently filled, but stop by the Plantae Pavilion to see if any slots have opened up. First come, first served.
CHECK OUT THE MASTER SCHEDULE AND FOLLOW THIS BLOG FOR ALL THE LATEST!
See you there! Look for more tips in the posts to follow!