Weekly updates on the US federal government’s response to COVID-19 and research opportunities.
Federal Guidance Related to Research and Higher Education
National Science Foundation (NSF)
NSF Virtual Office Hours: Certain NSF Directorates and Divisions have held or are holding office hours for their research community. Examples and additional information below:
- The Division of Environmental Biology (DEB) within the Biological Sciences Directorate (BIO) will hold office hours the second Monday of each month, 1-2 pm EST. More information here.
- The Division of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences within BIO will hold office hours the second Wednesday of the month. More information here.
- Slides from the early-April BIO-wide office hours are available here.
- The Division of Integrative Organismal Systems (IOS) within BIO will host its office hours on May 21 at 1-2PM (EST).
- The Division of Earth Sciences (EAR) within the Directorate for Geosciences (GEO) held virtual office hours in early April. More information, including slides is available here. The next EAR virtual office hours will be held on May 21 at 3-4:30PM (EST). More information here.
- A presentation on the NSF response to coronavirus from the Directorate for Engineering Advisory Committee meeting held on April 7 is available here.
- The Division of Chemistry within the Directorate for Mathematical and Physical Sciences announced office hours to be held on May 15 at 4-5PM (EST). Details available here.
US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
On May 13, USDA released additional updates to its Grants FAQ document, available here.
Research and Funding Opportunities
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
On May 15, 2020, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) released a Notice of Intent to Publish a Funding Opportunity Announcement for Serological Sciences Centers of Excellence. NCI expects to publish the final Funding Opportunity Announcement on June 10, with the first due date on July 20. Full details can be found here. See below for additional details about this program.
On May 14, 2020, NCI published a Request for Information (RFI) seeking input on the strategy for research in Coronavirus Serology Testing and Serological Sciences. NCI is seeking suggestions and input on any research topics relevant to research in coronavirus serology testing. Responses must be submitted by 11:59 pm (ET) on Tuesday, May 26, 2020 via email to Serology_RFI@mail.nih.gov. Please reference the notice for additional details.
This information was prepared by Lewis-Burke Associates and curated by Shandrea Stallworth, Early Career Representative on ASPB’s Science Policy Committee. Information about ASPB’s response to COVID-19 can be found here.
If you are interested in helping the effort to combat the spread of COVID-19, FEMA has established a website with more information.