Welcome to Day 3 of #PlantBio19!
Start your day with some networking! Choose from the Networking Breakfast organized by the Minority Affairs and Women in Plant Biology Committees from 7:00–8:30 AM in LL21EF. Remember to bring business cards to share! Or, if you’re a first-timer, come to the First-Time Attendee Check-in from 8:00–8:20 AM and tell us how your meeting is going! Or head over to the Innovation Stage for Meet the Editors-in-Chief, a meet and greet with Sabeeha Merchant, Mike Blatt, and Ivan Baxter. Coffee will be available in the Grand Ballroom from 8:00–8:30 AM
Head over to the Grand Ballroom at 8:30 AM for the plenary symposium Future of Food and Agriculture, co-organized by Crispin Taylor and Andrew Bent and featuring Timothy Griffin, Tom Osborn, Celeste Holz-Schietinger and David Slaughter. Faced with the vital issue of sustainably feeding a growing human population on a warming planet, this symposium begins with a broad brush focus on food system sustainability and resilience, before delving more deeply into the challenges and opportunities afforded by modern approaches to plant breeding, the rapidly growing area of plant-based meats, and the ways that big data can inform and improve agricultural practices.
Midday networking opportunities begin at 11:00 AM with an incredible line-up of options! On the Innovation Stage, join a discussion on connecting with the Phenomics community, hear about plant science start-ups with Innovations AveNEW Startup Demonstrations, and then learn about the many ways that you can get involved with the ASPB! Other networking opportunities include:
- Beyond Academia (discussion).
- Networking time (lunch available for purchase) in Hall 2.
- Open Space Conversation Circles.
- Assistant Features Editors meetup.
- Commercialization in Plant Science Workshop follow up conversation.
- Effective Mentoring Relationships.
Midday Workshops include:
- Evaluation and Assessment-Room 230A.
- Mentoring (pre-register for this luncheon, organized by the Minority Affairs Committee)-Room 230A.
- Federal Grant Information Session-Room LL21D.
- Bioinformatics Workshop-Room LL20A.
- EEPP Section Meeting-Room LL21EF.
(Remember to check the agenda for full workshop descriptions, availability and waitlist information).
At 1:00 PM, choose from one of our Concurrent Symposia; perhaps Metabolites for Defense and Growth, chaired by Sibongile Mafu, or Cutting Edge Genomic Tools, chaired by Phil Taylor.
Afternoon networking from 2:45–3:15 PM includes:
- Coffee break in Hall 2.
- Computational Biology Meetup (open to all #PlantBio2019 attendees).
- Plantae Fellows Meetup.
And on the Innovation Stage:
- What Do Plan S and Open Access Mean for You?
This afternoon, our second series of Concurrent Symposia begins at 3:15 PM covering topics ranging from Signaling, chaired by Alex Webb, to Edited for Content, chaired by Kristi Snell.
Round out a busy Day 3 with a visit to Hall 2 for an Exclusive Poster Session and Exhibit Hall Reception!