Are you a graduate student or post-doctoral researcher interested in a chance to get involved and trained in K-12 outreach? Would you like to mentor student research teams, without ever leaving your desk? Do you have the time to commit to mentor 2-3 teams in BOTH the Fall and Spring PlantingScience Sessions? ASPB invites its members to join the 2017-2018 PlantingScience Master Plant Science Team (MPST). The MPST provides compensation for a cohort of 12 graduate students and postdocs who make a substantial contribution as an online scientist mentor.
PlantingScience is a free online resource to teachers and schools. The program provides volunteer scientists, resources, and activities to support innovation in teaching, learning, and mentoring.Initiated in 2005, PlantingScience is a learning community, where volunteer scientists provide online mentorship to high school and middle school student teams as they design and think through their own plant science inquiry projects.
MPST Members receive:
- Free membership to ASPB for the year commitment
- 50% off meeting registration
- PlantingScience T-shirt
Team involvement requirements include:
- Participating in online mentorship training
- Mentoring 2-3 student teams via the webduring BOTH fall and spring sessions(each session lasts ~2 months)
- Posting to student web pages ~3 times per week
- Providing extra support and facilitating communication for one classroom teacher and his/her teams
One year as a member of the Master Plant Science Team has the potential to positively affect the rest of your professional life and inspire lifelong appreciation for plant science in young learners.
Apply by August 16 at: HTTPS://PLANTINGSCIENCE.ORG/JOINMPST