Thank you for attending Plant Biology 2017– here’s your Tuesday meeting update!
Here is your daily guide to activities curated by our team. Please check out our social media policy and hashtag #plantbio17 if you are using Twitter.
When in doubt, you can also check the schedule and the conference app, or stop by Registration and ask one of our friendly volunteers.
On Tuesday morning, early birds can join ASPB staff, Ambassadors, and fellow members for the 1st annual ASPB Member Coffee from 7–8:30 AM in the Plantae Pavilion.
Next, start with Symposium IV: Plants and Fungi: Friends or Foes? (8:30–11 AM). Tuesday’s Workshops (11:30 AM–1 PM) will feature Planning, Executing and Cultivating Broader Impact Programs, Launching a Start-Up, and the Environmental and Ecological Plant Physiology Section Meeting. On Tuesday afternoon, Concurrent symposia will run from 1:30–3:15 PM and 3:45–5:30 PM. Check the schedule for more information.
Promote your career with these activities:
- Electronic Jobs Board (8 AM–9 PM, Plantae Pavilion)
- Pitch Your Science (11 AM–1 PM, Room 319B). Present your research to the world in a 90-second, professionally recorded video (for free). No pre-registration required; first come, first serve. Learn more.
- Resume Reviews / Mentoring Sessions (11 AM–5 PM, Plantae Pavilion) Resume review and career advice from plant science professionals. Sign up at the Plantae Pavilion.
- Check out the Ask Me Anything series (In the Plantae Pavilion, Exhibit Hall 3)
- Crafting Your Online Persona (11 AM–12 PM) Plant scientists will answer questions on how to craft a multifaceted online persona, social media presence, website design, and what content you can use to highlight your accomplishments and research. Panelists will include Rishi Masalia, creator of the Athens Science Cafe.
- Succeeding at a Primarily Undergraduate Institution (12–1 PM) Learn how faculty at PUIs support each other, share resources, and find support from larger universities, etc. Panelists include Catharina Coenen of Allegheny College, and Leeann Thornton of The College of New Jersey.
- Join a live online discussion with Anne Sternberger (11 AM) about the chasmogamous/cleistogamous mixed breeding system, getting involved in the American Association of University Women, and life at Ohio University. Sign up at www.plantae.org/annes.
- How should grad school prepare students for careers beyond academia? Join the live online chat with Natalie Henkhaus at 1 PM.
Draw Your Science (Exhibit Hall 2) and Tool Swap (Membership Desk) will be open each day, all day. Remember to turn in your stamped passports before 4 PM to be entered in the raffle to win a cash prize!
Tuesday evening, visit the ASPB Town Hall meeting (5:30–6:30 PM) and the Luau (6:45–9:30 PM on the Great Lawn). Finally, set your alarm for Major Symposium V: Plant Scientist Entrepreneur on Wednesday morning (9–11:30 AM).