Wondering about the new open access journal, Plant Direct? Heard about SURF and want to know what it’s all about? Want to hear about how ASPB can help you with funding? Want to learn about how we support scientific meetings? Want to get involved with the Women In Plant Biology or Minority Affairs Committees? Curious about the ASPB Conviron Scholars Program? These and more make up the story of ASPB.
Come meet program participants, committee members and other interested colleagues who can answer all your burning questions!
We’re hosting a full schedule of 20-minute conversations about all the various programs and activities that ASPB supports at the ASPB Booth (booth number 1413) in the exhibit hall during exhibit hall hours. (See the program schedule online for the most up-to-date schedule!)
Sunday, July 15, 2018 at the ASPB Booth Conversation Circle
- 11:30 – 11:50 am: Meet ASPB’s CEO, Crispin Taylor: ASPB’s CEO would love to meet you! Bring your comments and questions.
- 12:00 – 12:20 pm: Women in Plant Biology: The Women in Plant Biology Committee works to enhance of the status of women plant biologists by continuing to address issues of particular concern to women scientists and to promote the inclusion of female plant biologists in all aspects of our Society and profession. Join this conversation to learn more!
- 12:30 – 12:50 pm: Meeting & Events Solutions: Learn how ASPB’s Meeting and Events Solutions can help you. Bring your questions, e.g. about funding your meeting, contract negotiations, or other support.
- 1:00 – 1:20 pm: ASPB Journals: Learn about Plant Physiology and The Plant Cell: Get your questions answered about ASPB’s flagship journals, Plant Physiology and The Plant Cell.
- 3:00 – 3:20 pm: ASPB Section Leadership Meet-up: Did you know that ASPB has 7 different sections? Are you a member who loves their section and wants to share that passion? Are you a member who is uncertain why sections exist and want to learn more? Get together at this Conversation Circle to discuss the benefits and opportunities provided by section membership, as well as, meet fellow section members.
- 5:30 – 5:50 pm: ASPB’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships: ASPB’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF) fund promising undergraduate students so they can conduct research in plant biology during the early part of their college careers. Successful applicants receive a $4,000 summer stipend, membership in ASPB, $700 (paid to the mentor or institution) for materials and supplies, and a $575 stipend to support student travel to Plant Biology 2019. Meet with SURF recipients, their mentors, and the review panel to learn what makes for a successful application. SURFers will share what their summer undergraduate research experience was like, and what’s next for them.
- 6:00 – 6:20 pm: Planting Science: Planting Science is a free online resource to teachers and schools. The program provides volunteer scientists, resources, and activities to support innovation in teaching, learning, and mentoring. Learn about mentoring opportunities and the benefits available to ASPB members that donate their time towards this exciting platform.
- 6:30 – 6:50 pm: Learn About Plant Direct: Join Plant Direct editor Ivan Baxter to learn about the new open access sound science journal for the plant science community. Bring your questions!
Monday, July 16, 2018 at the ASPB Booth Conversation Circle
- 11:00 – 11:20 am: News from the Plant Science Research Network: Learn about how to get involved with the Plant Science Research Network. The PSRN will also provide an update on their recommendations for training graduate students and postdocs. Everyone is welcome; learn more about the PSRN at plantae.org/psrn.
- 11:30 – 11:50 am: Plant Science Funding: Hear about the latest opportunities for plant science funding and other science policy activities.
- 12:00 – 12:20 pm: ASPB Minority Affairs Committee: The ASPB Minority Affairs Committee works to broaden participation in plant biology by members of underrepresented groups and works to address issues of particular concern to underrepresented minority scientists. Come find out more!
- 12:30 – 12:50 pm: ASPB Conviron Scholars: Join us at the ASPB Booth Conversation Circle to learn about the ASPB Conviron Scholars program and how to apply, and meet some of the 2017 participants.
- 3:00 – 3:20 pm: ASPB Education & Outreach Opportunities: Are you interested in eradicating plant blindness by supporting scholarly teaching, active learning, effective mentoring, and evidence-based public engagement? Come learn about volunteer and funding opportunities with the ASPB Education and Outreach Committee!
- 4:00 – 4:20 pm: DIVE, a new tool for Authors! Use Article Express? Come hear about a new editing tool for authors that helps you get more citations.
- 4:30 – 4:50 pm: Plant Physiology and The Plant Cell Author Meet-Up: Join your fellow Authors and hear the latest news about ASPB’s journal-related activities!
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at the ASPB Booth
- 12:30 – 12:50: All About CourseSource: Interested in documenting your scholarly teaching efforts, accomplishments, and innovations? Come learn about publishing classroom activities in the peer-reviewed, open access online journal, CourseSource. A key feature of CourseSource is the alignment of articles with learning goals developed by scientific professional societies, including the American Society for Plant Biologists. This Conversation Circle will help prospective CourseSource authors write up their work for publication and include information on how to present classroom activities so that journal readers can replicate them.
- 1:00 – 1:20 pm: ASPB Membership Committee and Ambassadors: Learn about the benefits of membership in ASPB and the activities of the membership committee. Already a member? Come learn about the Ambassador program and help spread the word about ASPB!
- 1:30 – 1:50 pm: Meet the ASPB Presidents: We’d like to hear from you: what is ASPB doing well, and what might we be doing better? Everyone is welcome, so please bring your comments and questions.
And that’s not all! Check out what else we have going on during the meeting…
- Draw Your Science: Represent your science through art. Using your imagination, draw anything that represents what you do, how you do it and/or why you do it. No artistic skills needed. Located at the Membership Desk, near registration.
- Question of the Day: Each day, Saturday through Tuesday, you can contribute an answer to the Question of the Day board near the Membership Desk.
- How Far Have You Traveled?: Mark on the map where your traveled from to attend Plant Biology 2018. Let’s see who came the furthest. Located near the Membership Desk, at registration.
- Learn more about what ASPB Membership can do for you at the ASPB Booth and at the Membership Desk.
- Did you know? Postcards – collect them all to win a prize! You may see some “Did You Know?” postcards around the meeting. There are nine of these cards, that tell the story of ASPB. Collect them all and bring them to the Town Hall on Tuesday afternoon to win a prize!
Join us daily at the ASPB Booth or the Membership Desk!