As noted in and blogged with permission from Friday Notes, CAST:
Reports, surveys, loud headlines–Who Will Feed the Nine Billion? After observing young people in FFA, at the World Food Prize, in university activities, and at many other occasions, we have confidence that Generation Agriculture will rise to the occasion. In the meantime, the stories about youth and agriculture keep coming.
- Close to 60,000 jobs are set to open up in agriculture, food, and natural resource sectors each year for the next five years–but there might not be enough grads to fill them.
- This Think Ag video looks at the news about agriculture job opportunities.
- According to the latest USDA Ag census, the number of beginning farmers is down 20%. Where are America’s future farmers?
- The Department of Agriculture announced plans to prioritize $5.6 billion in funding over the next two years to help beginning farmers and ranchers get started.
- Tilling the land is not for everyone as this blogger explains in Why I Am Not a Farmer–Patience, Pitchforks, and One Ugly Rooster.