Elections open April 9th: Your opportunity to guide ASPB’s future

In this election cycle, you are being asked to vote for a new President-Elect, Secretary-Elect, and Corresponding Members. The President-Elect will serve ASPB for three years: in year two becoming the President. The Secretary serves on the program committee for four years, serving as chair in years two and three: this committee organizes the scientific … Read more

Plant Scientist Runs for Congress

I believe science can help us develop solutions to global food insecurity. I study the effects of drought on maize roots at the University of Missouri, and I hope my findings will contribute to improving crop resilience as rainfall patterns change in the Midwest. Currently, I am represented in Congress by an anti-science politician, U.S. … Read more

Fond farewell to Patti Lockhart, ASPB Managing Editor

The staff and editorial boards of ASPB, The Plant Cell, and Plant Physiology would like to offer our appreciation and best wishes to Patti Lockhart, who is leaving her position as managing editor of the ASPB journals for a new opportunity at the Transportation Resource Board of the National Academies. Patti has been with ASPB … Read more

Plant Scientists Share Their ASPB Stories for #GivingTuesday

One of the many ways that ASPB supports plant science is to provide professional development opportunities for plant scientists now and for future generations. We recently asked 10 plant scientists to share their stories with us and to tell us about how ASPB has impacted their career and research. On #GivingTuesday, help us expand our … Read more

10 Awesome Reasons to Support ASPB on #GivingTuesday!

This year, ASPB is participating in #Giving Tuesday, an international “Global Day of Giving” designed to promote the good works of charities and nonprofit organizations.  #Giving Tuesday takes place on Tuesday, November 28. Here are ten reasons why we believe that ASPB is a nonprofit worth supporting on #GivingTuesday! ASPB provides research fellowships to undergraduate plant … Read more

President’s Letter: A Challenging Time to Assume the Presidency

It seems like only yesterday that the members of ASPB entrusted me with the presidency. My year as president-elect has flown by. When I was elected, I wondered, what exactly does a president-elect actually do, and is it necessary? A year later, I am pleased to say that the system devised by my predecessors is … Read more

President’s Letter: Where Do We Go from Here?

A research community thrives best when it acts with a consensus voice and agrees to commonly held priorities. An effort to achieve such consensus within the plant science community was first launched with the 2013 publication of the document Unleashing a Decade of Innovation in Plant Science: A Vision for 2015–2025 (http://bit.ly/DecadalVision). The Decadal Vision … Read more

Announcing the Inaugural Class of the ASPB Conviron Scholars Program

Congratulations to the inaugural class of the ASPB Conviron Scholars Program.  These 21 scholars were selected from a strongly competitive group of over 150 applicants.  Read more about each awardee. Special thanks to Conviron for making this program possible through their financial support. Mary Modupe Adewole, University of Ibadan, Osun State, Nigeria Beverly Agtuca, University of … Read more

What’s Happening on Sunday at Plant Biology 2017

Thank you for attending Plant Biology 2017– here’s your Sunday meeting update! Here is your daily guide to activities curated by our team. When in doubt, you can also check the schedule and the conference app, or stop by Registration and ask one of our friendly volunteers. Sunday Highlights Start your morning bright and early with … Read more

Applications open for 2017-2018 Plantae Fellows

Are you a creative, articulate and web-savvy plant scientist looking to connect with other like-minded folks? We need your help to nurture and grow Plantae, the online community for the global plant science community.  We are looking for individuals who are interested in being highly engaged contributors by curating content and facilitating discussions. The benefits … Read more

Pitch Yourself and Your Science at #PlantBio17

Your “elevator pitch” is how you present yourself in an intriguing, attention-grabbing and articulate way. When someone asks you about yourself or your work, being prepared with your “pitch” immediately catches their interest and opens the conversation so you can provide more detail. Developing and refining your pitch is more difficult than it sounds, which is why there are … Read more

President’s Letter: The Many Legacies of ASPB

At ASPB, so much has changed over the past few years. Our flagship journals are now online only and offer open access options; we welcome the initiation of our new journal, Plant Direct; and ASPB is set to better interconnect its members with the larger plant science community by way of the Plantae digital ecosystem. … Read more

Jenna Gallegos Awarded 2017 ASPB/AAAS Mass Media Fellowship

Jenna E. Gallegos, from the University of California, Davis, has been selected to represent ASPB as the 2017 ASPB/AAAS Mass Media Science & Engineering Fellow. She will spend 10 weeks this summer training as a science journalist at the Washington Post in Washington, D.C. In June, Jenna will earn her PhD in plant biology with … Read more

Share your fascination of plants by organizing an event on May 18

Plant Science * Agriculture * Forestry * Plant Breeding * Biodiversity * Nourishment and Nutrition * Plant Protection * Environmental Conservation * Renewable Resources We invite you to organize a fascinating activity related to plants on May 18, 2017! Contact the USA National Coordinator by email at plantday@aspb.org to discuss and access all supporting materials … Read more

Announcing the 2017 ASPB Award Winners

The American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB) is pleased to announce the recipients of its 2017 awards, which honor excellence in research, education, outreach, and service.   ASPB Innovation Prize for Agricultural Technology Luca Comai, University of California, Davis, CA Rick DeRose, Syngenta Crop Protection, Research Triangle Park, NC Georges Freyssinet, BIO-EZ, France Ganesh Kishore, … Read more

President’s Letter: How Should We Speak Up?

Now that we have all had a chance to learn a bit more about the Trump administration and its positions on science, it is time to launch the inevitable conversation about how best to respond. The appointment of Robert F. Kennedy to lead a task force to evaluate the safety of vaccines (Phillip et al., … Read more

Engineers, plant biologists, and data scientists assembled in Tucson for the inaugural Phenome 2017 conference

The inaugural Phenome 2017 conference was held February 10-14, 2017 in beautiful Tucson, AZ. The theme, “Connecting the Bioeconomy,” was developed as a direct outcome of the Plant Science Decadal Vision publication (2013) and was organized by the National Plant Science Council and the North American Plant Phenotyping Network, with meeting management provided by ASPB. … Read more

Recognizing featured Plant Cell first authors, January 2017

Recently, we’ve been profiling first authors of Plant Cell papers that are selected for In Brief summaries. Here are the first-author profiles from the December issue of The Plant Cell. Michael Sandmann, featured first author of Targeting of A. thaliana KNL2 to centromeres depends on the conserved CENPC-k motif in its C-terminus Current Position: PhD … Read more